Sunday, January 2, 2011

Seattle Teriyaki Sauce - My Version

I have found the Holy Grail of Teriyaki Recipes. I kid you not, this is pure gold on a plate. Allow me to give you some background on this. Years ago (about 9 or so), I moved to Seattle to live for a couple of years. While there I sampled some of the local food, culture, and highlights as time and my finances would allow. One priceless gem I found was that in every major district of Seattle exist these Teriyaki shops. Mostly run by Korean Ma and Pa's, they quickly became the healthiest, tastiest, and handiest fast food available. One meal (chicken, rice, salad, drink) ran you about 5 bucks or so. We ate it almost every day. It became a part of our lives. I even go so far as to say that we began to crave this culinary delight. Well, after my time in Seattle was spent, I moved home to Idaho. The withdrawals were brutal. No one had 'real' Teriyaki. I tried store-made sauce after home-made sauce, and nothing touched the vintage Seattle awesomeness.

Now as we begin 2011, the fates have smiled on me and I have found it! The mother of all Teriyaki Recipes! Once you try this you will never allow another bottle of store-made sauce in your home again. Brace yourselves.

2016 Disclaimer Update: It's been brought to my attention that this sauce is not considered authentic to Seattle's version of teriyaki sauce. This is my version that comes close to the ones in Seattle. I'm sorry to have previously claimed this as "Authentic Seattle Teriyaki Sauce." - My Bad.


Seattle Chicken Teriyaki Sauce - My Version

Ingredients:

-->
  • 2 Cups Soy Sauce
  • 2 Cups plus 2 tsp Sugar
  • 4 1/2th Cups Water
  • 2 tsp Ginger Root - Minced
  • 2 TBSP Garlic – Minced
  • 1/4th Cup Apples - Chopped
  • 1/4th Cup Celery - Chopped
  • 1 TBSP White Onions - Diced
  • 1 TBSP Parsley - Chopped
  • 1 Cup Leaf Lettuce - Chopped
Thickening Agent:

-->
  • 2 TBSP Corn Starch
  • 2 TBSP Cold Water
Remaining Ingredients:

-->
  • Chicken Thighs
  • Freshly Cooked Rice
  • Shredded Carrots and Leaf Lettuce (Salad)
  • Lite Poppycorn Ranch Dressing or Honey Mustard Dressing
  • Sriacha Hot Sauce – for some heat
  • Sesame Seeds - garnish


Over warm stove heat up Soy Sauce, Sugar, and Water in a deep stock pot. Wash, prep, and dice vegetables and fruits. Puree in a blender/food processor Ginger & Garlic first. Add to stockpot. Next puree Apples, Celery, White Onions, and Parsley until smooth. Then puree Lettuce Leaf into mixture. Add pureed blend with Soy Sauce mixture, heat slowly until boiling. Reduce heat and leave to simmer for about 35 - 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. This will reduce the liquid into a thin syrup. (After simmering, strain sauce thoroughly if translucent sauce is desired.) Mix together Cornstarch and Water in a separate bowl, add to sauce. Bring back to boil, stirring constantly until a nice and thick syrup. Remove from heat and allow to cool.


Pour over strips of Chicken Thighs that have been grilled on high heat or open flame. Make sure the chicken has some charred grill marks (the sauce compliments these grilled bits almost too perfectly!). Serve over hot bed of your favorite rice and sprinkle with Sesame Seeds. Add Sriracha Hot Sauce if desired.


To complete the experience, julienne leaf lettuce and carrots into a tossed salad, cover with Honey Mustard Dressing or Peppercorn Ranch Dressing.

Sauce is also great on grilled New York Steak cut into thin strips, as well as grilled shrimp with pineapple on kabobs. Enjoy!


Thus far, this tastes the most similar to the Seattle Ma and Pa Shops. It's not their original recipe, but for me it's close enough to evoke fond memories of rainy lunches on the go. I can't even tell you how excited I am about this. I've already made a double batch and it's cooling in my fridge for use throughout the week! Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. Looks really good, Kris. =) Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this works it could change my life. I left Seattle 14 years ago and pine for that sauce. I'm heading to the grocery store now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I have been living back in Texas for 5 years now and can't find anything even close! Even just simmering the taste of the sauce brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I'm trying this recipe this weekend. My story is the same as Machael's and Tahiti's story. I left the northwest almost 10 years ago and had no idea that the rest of the country didn't have teriyaki joints on every corner. On the second day of me living out of state I was trying to find a teriyaki joint and ended up having to go to the store to get the bottle of sauce instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing up in Washington with a Korean mom, she would never use parsley. Asians are not very open to new ingredients. Guarantee it's not authentic. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this recipe. Grew up in Seattle, and I too have been having teriyaki sauce withdrawals since moving to Minnesota four years ago. This recipe definitely hit the mark for me and came really close to the flavor and texture of my old favorites. I add gochujang for extra spicy. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how many chicken thighs does the sauce can make? I wonder if u marinade the chicken as well before grilling

      Delete
  7. Wow, I have printed this out and will try it because as others have stated . . . . Emerald City Teriyaki Withdrawl should be a recognized illness to call into work! LOL

    Man I miss home . . . . Don't move to FLORIDA people, this state is the worst . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. My wife is from Seattle, and with the traveling other places, this is the closest to Seattle Teriyaki we have found. It it really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am craving for seattle teriyaki chicken. I am wondering if you marinade the chicken before grilling. How many chicken thighs can I make with this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marinade before yes. I just did this recipe and marinated 20 thighs, there is a lot of sauce left over I'm going to freeze. Can probably do another 20 3 or 4 times. I do drizzle extra sauce on the thighs before serving as well

      Delete